In this newsletter...
- Evolving Role of the Actuary Key Findings paper due out soon - complete our survey here
- Live Webinar Friday 4 September 12 PM: COVID-19: Operational Resilience Lessons Learnt: Insurance
- Live Webinar Friday 25 September 12 PM: The Impacts of Insurtech: Image, Video and Audio applications
- On-demand Panel discussion: The evolving role of the actuary
Previous webinars available on demand
For more information about any of the above please contact us
COVID-19: Operational Resilience Lessons Learnt: Insurance
As a result of COVID-19, the insurance industry is being affected through the combination of lockdown measures, changing product demand, increased mortality, health and event cancellation claims, and volatile financial markets, among others.
With hindsight, the UK regulators’ focus on operational resilience, as opposed to simple disaster recovery planning, has thus proven to be prescient. It seems likely that regulators will expect firms to report – in some form or other – on their takeaways from the pandemic experience.
Please join us for a webinar discussion where we will be speaking with Cresendo Advisors to obtain input on the findings from their Lessons Learnt Operational Resilience benchmarking study.
They conducted structured interviews with a selection of risk professionals from insurance firms to understand the impact that Covid-19 has had on their firms and to assess how they responded, what they did well, what lessons they learned, and changes they anticipate as a result of the pandemic experience.
We will be exploring, among other:
- The impacts on insurance businesses’ operations
- After the pandemic experience, what regulators are likely to expect from firms
- The challenges that new world of working from home will pose for the design, implementation and documentation of an appropriate functional control environment; and
- The likely change the cost-benefit dynamic of outsourcing / off-shoring so that many firms could find it beneficial and desirable to bring activities back in-house.
Friday 4 September 12 PM
Webinar Speakers: Valerie du Preez, Isaac Alfon, Shirley Beglinger and Helio Correa
Evolving Role of the Actuary Key Findings paper 'now' available
Actuartech and Montoux have partnered on a content series that digs into the heart of what the modern actuary looks like, the challenges and opportunities facing the profession today, and what the actuaries of tomorrow could look like.
We are still accepting responses in our survey on the role of the actuary here
The Impacts of Insurtech: Image, Video and Audio applications
Please join us for another virtual event where we will continue to explore opportunities created by new Insurtech innovations as well as look at how companies are responding.
Insurers have the opportunity to utilise new sources of data and associated technologies and utilise these technologies and other Insurtech innovations to drive better pricing decisions, managing claim costs and reducing operating expenses.
We will discuss a brief history of Insurtech and how it is likely to develop in the future. Also in this webinar, we will explore the application of image, video and audio in the financial services industry and in insurance.
Speakers include Ed Plowman, Experienced international GI actuary, Hugo Clugston, Head of Portfolio Management and Business Planning at Talbot Underwriting Ltd and Cherry Chan., Partner at Barnett Waddingham LLP. The webinar will be facilitated by Valerie du Preez, Founder and Managing Director at Dupro & Actuartech.
Friday 25 September 12 PM
Panel discussion: The evolving role of the actuary
Following on from our survey above, this series explores, among other, themes around training, COVID-19, and also explores the future role of the actuary.
In this webinar, we discussed:
- What makes an actuary? Our technical and professional skills, the areas we work in and our wider responsibility to society.
- The impact of COVID-19 on the actuarial profession, the challenges of remote working, the reliance on technology and the main industry challenges and changes actuaries are facing.
- The role of the actuary yesterday, today & tomorrow - how has the actuaries’ role evolved, the challenges and opportunities facing the profession today, and what the actuaries of tomorrow could look like.
- The impact of sustainability on the role of the actuary and the ways in which actuaries can contribute, whilst encouraging their clients and peers to do the same.
- How can data science add additional value to an actuary’s role and what ethical responsibilities does this generate with regards to data?
- How can actuaries prepare themselves for future changes and developments impacting their role?
The discussion is aimed at actuaries but is open to a wider audience.
Available on Demand
All of our webinars are available on demand and information regarding future webinars and how to register can be found by visiting our website www.actuartech.com/webinars
We are the home of actuarial technology for insight, training and networking.
Actuartech provides leading insights and research on the topic of actuarial technology.
We take technology and data science beyond the theoretical and can uncover, and explain, in simple to understand language the impact it will have and the problems we are trying to solve and ultimately what value it will bring to the organisation. We cut through the noise and bring you the simple, easy to understand insight and practical examples.
Find out more about sponsorship opportunities with Actuartech for upcoming podcasts, videos, and events, email@example.com.
Get in Touch
Actuartech wants to hear from you!
We would love to hear your thoughts on our newsletter and the articles featured and any suggestions you may have for next month.
Our Facebook page is live - please take a look and give us a Like!
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for reading.
© Actuartech, August 2020